Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shrimp, Asparagus, & Pesto Fettuccine


Okay, okay, as you pasta pros can see, I did not use fettuccine. Merely spaghetti. (But I also saved time and gas from not going to the store.) Any shape pasta would work for this. I think penne would be my choice for any pasta dish. This recipe is a bit mild for my taste. Although it does have a nice subtlety. I did a few things differently than the posted recipe, and you should also adapt as you so desire.


Ingredients:
8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
and cut into 1-inch pieces (remember to snap
off the bottom 1-2 inches before starting)
1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers*
1/4 cup prepared pesto
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 per pound) *
1/2 cup dry white cooking wine
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:

1- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add asparagus and continue cooking until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta and the asparagus then return to the pot. Stir in peppers and pesto. Cover to keep warm.

2- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 3 minutes. Add wine, increase heat to high and continue cooking until the shrimp are curled and the wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pasta, toss to coat, and add the reserved cooking water. Season with pepper and serve immediately.


Where I DV8:
* I use frozen cooked shrimp and just simmer it to heat it through.
* I used fresh red peppers and sauteed them for about 6-7 minutes in olive oil.

Serves 8

2 comments:

  1. would chicken be a good substitute for those of us that are not fans of shrimp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that! I don't "do" shrimp well. So I think that chicken would be good, also. Or even no meat. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to add garlic, if you ask me. I rarely cook without garlic. It was odd for me to try.

    ReplyDelete